Gunmen riding motorcycles storm rural school communities in Oyo State, killing an assistant headmaster, kidnapping pupils and teachers, and exposing deep security gaps in Nigeria’s education system.
By Joy Ade | IBADAN, Nigeria
Panic and grief swept through Oyo State on Friday after heavily armed terrorists launched coordinated attacks on three schools in Oriire Local Government Area, killing a senior teacher, abducting pupils and staff, and forcing terrified residents to flee into surrounding bushes.
The attacks, described by witnesses as one of the boldest assaults on school communities in recent times, targeted Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Esiele; and L.A. Primary School.
The gunmen reportedly arrived around 9 a.m. on motorcycles, firing sporadically as pupils assembled for morning activities.
Residents said the attackers moved rapidly between schools with little resistance, exposing what community leaders described as dangerous security lapses in rural parts of the state.
Coordinated Assault Throws Communities Into Chaos
Eyewitnesses said the attackers operated in organized units, storming multiple schools within minutes and sending pupils, teachers, and residents into panic.
“They came in large numbers on motorcycles and started shooting immediately. Everybody ran. They moved from one school to another within minutes,” a resident told reporters.
Sources said the attackers exploited the close proximity of the schools, allowing them to execute simultaneous raids before security operatives arrived.
The coordinated nature of the attack has intensified fears that criminal groups are expanding operations beyond Nigeria’s traditional insurgency zones into relatively calmer South-West communities.
Assistant Headmaster Killed While Attempting Escape
The violence turned deadly when the Assistant Headmaster of L.A. Primary School, Joel Adesiyan, was shot and killed while attempting to escape through a window.
Colleagues described Adesiyan as a committed educator whose death has devastated the local education community.
During the chaos, an unsuspecting commercial motorcyclist was also reportedly shot dead after unknowingly riding into the attack scene.
Witnesses said the attackers later seized the victim’s motorcycle and used it during their operation.
Principal, Teachers and Pupils Abducted
Community sources confirmed that the Principal of Community Grammar School, Mrs. Rachael Alamu, was abducted alongside five teachers and several pupils.
As of press time, authorities had yet to confirm the exact number of kidnapped children.
Residents said the terrorists moved through classrooms, selecting victims before forcing them into vehicles and motorcycles.
“They did not spare anyone. They abducted pupils from both primary and secondary schools, including very small children,” the Eleshi Ele of Esiele, Oba Tajudeen Abioye, said.
A relative of a missing 16-year-old JSS2 student said the family remained in anguish over her disappearance.
“She left home for school around 7 a.m., and we have not seen her since then. We do not know whether she was kidnapped or escaped into the bush,” the relative said.
Terrorists Burn Principal’s Vehicle During Escape
Investigations revealed that the attackers used the principal’s vehicle to transport some abducted victims out of the community.
However, the vehicle reportedly developed mechanical problems while moving through difficult terrain.
“They abandoned it and set it ablaze,” a resident disclosed.
The burning vehicle intensified fear among residents, many of whom abandoned their homes over concerns of a second attack.
Monarch Blames Delayed Security Response
Traditional ruler Oba Tajudeen Abioye said the attack began during a town hall meeting and lasted long enough for the terrorists to move freely across communities.
According to him, security operatives arrived nearly two hours after the assault had begun.
“The police station is far from our community. It took them about two hours before they arrived,” the monarch lamented.
Security experts say the delayed response reflects wider structural weaknesses affecting rural policing across Nigeria, where many communities remain far from operational security formations.
Military, Police Launch Forest Search Operation
Following the attacks, the terrorists reportedly fled into forest corridors linked to the Old Oyo National Park axis.
The Oyo State Commissioner of Police, Ayodeji Abimbola, reportedly led tactical units into the area alongside military personnel in a coordinated rescue operation.
Security forces continued combing forests late into Friday night in search of abducted victims and fleeing attackers.
Local government chairman Michael Olateju described the terrain as difficult and remote, complicating emergency response efforts.
Former lawmaker Bamigboye Abidoye called for the immediate establishment of military posts around vulnerable rural communities.
“We need a permanent military presence in these areas because the attackers are exploiting forest routes and weak security coverage,” he said.
Government Orders Closure of Schools
In response to the attacks, the Oyo State Universal Basic Education Board ordered the temporary closure of schools in Oriire and neighboring local government areas, including Surulere, Oyo East, and Olorunsogo.
Authorities said the measure was necessary to prevent further attacks and stabilize the region.
The Oyo State Police Command confirmed the killing of the assistant headmaster and the commercial motorcyclist, while noting that no pupil deaths had been officially verified as of the time of filing this report.
Similar Attack Reported in Borno
In a disturbing parallel development, gunmen reportedly attacked a school near the Sambisa Forest in Borno State on Friday morning.
The Deputy Speaker of the Borno State House of Assembly, Abdullahi Askira, confirmed the incident, stating that several pupils fled into nearby bushes during the attack.
Local youth leader Samaila Kaigama alleged that insurgents abducted an unspecified number of pupils from the school without resistance.
The Borno State Police Command said investigations were ongoing.
Renewed Fear Over School Safety in Nigeria
The Oyo and Borno attacks have reignited concerns over the safety of Nigerian schools more than a decade after the Chibok schoolgirls abduction drew global outrage.
Despite repeated government assurances and security interventions, schools—particularly in rural communities—remain vulnerable to attacks by terrorists, bandits, and kidnappers.
Security analysts warn that the spread of school-targeted violence into South-West communities could signal a dangerous expansion of organized armed networks across Nigeria.
Friday’s coordinated attacks on schools in Oyo State have once again exposed the fragile state of security surrounding educational institutions in Nigeria.
With pupils missing, teachers abducted, communities traumatized, and families left in uncertainty, the latest assault raises urgent questions about rural security preparedness, intelligence gathering, and the protection of children in conflict-prone areas.
As security agencies intensify rescue operations, affected communities remain trapped between grief, fear, and growing distrust over the government’s ability to safeguard schools.

![Nigerian military prepares to cordon the area where a man was killed by suspected rebel fighters during an attack around the Polo area of Maiduguri, Nigeria, in 2019 [File: Afolabi Sotunde/Reuters]](https://a1news.com.ng/wp/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/Nigeria-military-on-patrol.webp)











Leave a Reply