Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

Money Laundering: ICPC to Arraign Nasir El-Rufai in Kaduna

A file photo of ex-Kaduna State former governor, Nasir El-Rufai

Multiple charges filed as former governor challenges detention and due process

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By A1 News International
Abuja, Nigeria — March 24, 2026

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) will on Tuesday arraign former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, before a Federal High Court in Kaduna over alleged fraud and money laundering. The case marks a significant escalation in legal proceedings following weeks of detention and mounting public scrutiny.

What Happened

The ICPC confirmed that charges filed on March 18 against El-Rufai include alleged conversion and possession of public property, as well as money laundering.

In a statement issued by its spokesperson, John Okor Odey, the commission said the former governor will be arraigned alongside one Joel Adoga before the Federal High Court sitting in Kaduna.

The anti-corruption agency also disclosed that a separate criminal case has been filed at a Kaduna State High Court, involving additional allegations of abuse of office, fraud, and intent to confer undue advantage.

Official Response

According to the ICPC, El-Rufai has been duly served with the charges, and the commission reiterated its commitment to due process and the rule of law.

“The ICPC wishes to inform the public that Mallam Nasir El-Rufa’i has been duly served,” the statement said, adding that the date for the state high court arraignment will be communicated in due course.

The commission emphasized that both sets of charges were filed in accordance with legal procedures and would proceed as scheduled by the courts.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

Background

El-Rufai has remained in ICPC custody since his release by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in February.

On March 5, a magistrate court granted a 14-day extension of his remand, prolonging his detention beyond the initial order. The development triggered criticism from opposition figures and legal observers, who called on authorities to either formally charge or release him.

In response, the former governor filed a fundamental rights enforcement suit before a Federal High Court in Abuja, challenging the legality of both the search conducted at his residence and the remand order issued earlier in February.

The suit names the ICPC, the magistrate who authorised the remand, the Inspector-General of Police, and the Attorney-General of the Federation as respondents.

Why It Matters

The arraignment signals a transition from investigation to full judicial scrutiny in one of the most high-profile corruption cases involving a former state governor in recent months.

It also places the ICPC’s handling of the case under closer legal and public examination, particularly regarding detention procedures and inter-agency coordination.

The development raises fresh concerns about accountability and oversight in Nigeria’s public institutions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International