Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

NCDC Clarifies Meningitis Situation in Nigeria: Cases Not Rising, Says Official Data

Nigeria-Centre-for-Disease-Control-and-Prevention-NCDC

Health authorities confirm current meningitis figures are lower than previous seasons, despite localized outbreaks in some states.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By Dorathy Etuk / ABUJA — May 9, 2026

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC) has clarified that meningitis cases in the country are not increasing, stating that current surveillance data show lower infection levels compared to previous epidemic seasons.

This comes amid public concern following recent reported outbreaks in parts of Sokoto State.

Surveillance Data Shows Decline in Cases

The Deputy Director of the Meningitis Technical Working Group at the Department of Planning, Research, and Statistics of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr. Eze Emmanuel, said Nigeria is currently recording fewer suspected cases compared to previous years.

Speaking in an interview, he explained that data from recent seasons indicates a downward trend.

“In the 2023–2024 season, we had over 3,000 suspected cases by this time. In 2024–2025, it rose to nearly 5,000, with Yobe alone recording over 1,000 cases. This year, the number is still below 1,000,” he said.

According to him, this suggests that meningitis cases are not increasing but have slightly reduced in the current season.

Vaccination Reduces Impact of Major Strains

Dr. Emmanuel attributed part of the progress to vaccination efforts, noting that immunisation remains the most effective preventive measure against infectious diseases.

He explained that Nigeria’s earlier response targeted serotype A, which was previously responsible for most severe outbreaks.

That vaccine, known as MenAfriVac, has since been integrated into routine childhood immunisation programmes across the country.

He listed other major bacterial causes of meningitis, including Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae type b, and Neisseria meningitidis serotype A, which are now covered under routine vaccination schedules.

Shift in Dominant Strain Reported

Despite progress, Dr. Emmanuel noted a shift in the dominant strain of the disease, with serotype C now accounting for the majority of confirmed cases.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

He said more than 90 percent of current laboratory confirmations are linked to serotype C, alongside occasional cases of serotypes W and X.

He linked the shift partly to evolving environmental and epidemiological factors, including climate change.

Introduction of New Pentavalent Vaccine

In response to the changing disease pattern, global health partners and Nigeria have introduced a new vaccine, Men5CV, designed to offer broader protection.

The vaccine targets five meningococcal strains—A, C, W, Y, and X—in a single formulation.

According to Dr. Emmanuel, the new vaccine is expected to strengthen long-term prevention and reduce outbreak frequency.

Vaccine Deployment Linked to Outbreak Zones

Dr. Emmanuel also noted that current outbreaks are largely occurring in areas yet to receive full vaccination coverage.

He said evidence shows a clear reduction in cases in regions where the new vaccine has been deployed.

“We are seeing outbreaks mainly in local government areas that have not yet been covered by vaccination campaigns,” he stated.

While isolated outbreaks persist, health authorities maintain that Nigeria’s overall meningitis burden is currently lower than in previous years, supported by expanded vaccination programmes and improved disease surveillance systems.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International