Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

ADC Raises Alarm Over INEC Directive, Warns of Possible Disqualification from Elections

African Democratic Congress spokesman, Bolaji Abdullahi. Photo: Bolaji Abdullahi / X

Party says refusal to accept correspondence could block candidate nominations ahead of statutory deadlines

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By Baron Eloagu | Abuja, Nigeria

The African Democratic Congress (ADC) has raised concerns that a recent directive by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) could effectively prevent the party from fielding candidates in upcoming elections, warning that the move poses a serious threat to its participation in the democratic process.

In a statement issued on Monday, ADC National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, said the crisis stems from INEC’s decision to suspend receipt of correspondence from the party pending the outcome of an ongoing case before the Federal High Court.


ADC Alleges Risk of “Artificial Non-Compliance”

The party argued that INEC’s stance places it in a legally precarious position, particularly given strict timelines imposed by the Electoral Act.

According to Abdullahi, the Commission’s refusal to accept submissions — despite maintaining a May 10 deadline for compliance — creates what he described as a “clear pathway to artificial non-compliance.”

“In simple terms, INEC is effectively threatening that unless the courts deliver judgment on the ADC leadership issue by May 10, it will prevent the ADC from producing candidates,” the party said.

The ADC warned that such a scenario could be used to justify excluding it from the electoral process.


Dispute Over Leadership Recognition

The party also pointed to what it described as contradictions in INEC’s position, citing records that allegedly show the Commission had previously recognised its leadership structure.

According to the ADC, INEC monitored its July 29, 2025 National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting, documented proceedings, and updated its records to reflect the emergence of Senator David Mark as National Chairman and Rauf Aregbesola as National Secretary.

The party further referenced a sworn affidavit submitted by INEC in court, which it said affirmed the legitimacy of its leadership transition and acknowledged that internal party matters fall outside judicial interference once completed.

“These are not claims. They are facts contained in INEC’s own records,” the statement insisted.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here


INEC’s Position and Legal Justification

INEC had earlier announced its decision to suspend engagement with the party’s factions, citing a court order directing all parties to maintain the status quo pending the final determination of the leadership dispute.

The Commission maintained that its action was necessary to avoid undermining ongoing judicial proceedings.

However, the ADC rejected this interpretation, arguing that the directive represents an overreach and undermines its constitutional rights as a political party.


Escalating Leadership Crisis

The dispute is rooted in a protracted leadership tussle within the ADC that dates back to 2025, following the emergence of a new National Working Committee led by David Mark.

The crisis intensified after Nafiu Bala challenged the leadership transition, insisting he should assume control after the exit of former chairman Ralph Nwosu.

The disagreement has since triggered multiple legal battles across various courts, raising concerns about the party’s internal stability ahead of future elections.


Call for Reversal

The ADC has now urged INEC to immediately reverse its directive and resume receiving its correspondence, warning that failure to do so could undermine the credibility of Nigeria’s electoral system.

The party also called on the Commission to uphold its constitutional responsibility to ensure a level playing field for all political actors.


Implications for Upcoming Elections

With statutory deadlines approaching, political observers warn that the standoff could have far-reaching implications, not only for the ADC but for broader electoral integrity.

As the legal battle continues, the party insists it will proceed with its activities while seeking judicial clarity — even as concerns mount over whether it will ultimately be allowed to participate fully in the next electoral cycle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International