Three deaths recorded as global health body assesses outbreak risk as low
By A1 News Desk (AFP) | May 5, 2026
The World Health Organization (WHO) has confirmed two cases of hantavirus and identified five additional suspected infections aboard a cruise ship stranded off Cape Verde, with three deaths already recorded.
The global health agency said it is closely monitoring the situation but currently assesses the risk to the wider population as low.
In a statement released Tuesday, the WHO disclosed that a total of seven cases—two laboratory-confirmed and five suspected—had been recorded among passengers and crew of the vessel.
The cases include three fatalities, one critically ill patient, and three individuals experiencing mild symptoms.
The outbreak occurred aboard the MV Hondius, operated by Oceanwide Expeditions, during a voyage from Ushuaia, Argentina, to Cape Verde in West Africa.
According to WHO, symptoms among affected individuals began between April 6 and April 28, 2026.
Severe Symptoms and Fatalities
Health authorities said the illness has been characterised by fever, gastrointestinal complications, and rapid progression to severe respiratory conditions, including pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndrome.
The fatalities include a Dutch couple—one who died onboard the vessel and the other after disembarking in Saint Helena and travelling onward to South Africa.
Another death involved a German national who reportedly died while still on the ship.
Contact Tracing Underway
The WHO said it is attempting to trace passengers who may have been exposed, particularly those on an April 25 flight between Saint Helena and Johannesburg, where one infected passenger travelled before later dying.
Contact tracing efforts have been initiated to limit potential spread.
Passengers onboard the vessel represent 23 nationalities, including individuals from the United Kingdom, Spain, and the United States, as well as crew members from the Philippines.
Medical Response and Ongoing Investigations
The ship currently carries 147 people, with some infected individuals already transferred for medical care. A British passenger is reportedly receiving intensive treatment in Johannesburg, while two crew members require urgent medical attention.
WHO confirmed that investigations into the outbreak are ongoing, with further analysis needed to determine the extent and source of the infections.
Understanding Hantavirus Risk
Hantavirus is a rare but potentially fatal disease primarily transmitted to humans through contact with infected rodents or their bodily fluids.
While human-to-human transmission is uncommon, it has been documented in certain outbreaks, raising concerns about confined environments such as cruise ships.
Despite the severity of the cases, WHO reiterated that the overall risk to the global population remains low at this stage.
As investigations continue, global health authorities are maintaining vigilance to contain the outbreak and prevent further spread. The incident underscores the risks posed by infectious diseases in confined travel settings, even as the WHO reassures that broader public health implications remain limited.














Leave a Reply