Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

2027 Presidency: Jonathan Says He Will Consult Widely Amid Calls to Contest

Goodluck Jonathan was president from 2010 to 2015

Former President urges Nigerian youths to obtain voter cards and participate actively in the electoral process.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By Andrew Wakama

ABUJA — May 8, 2026

Former President Goodluck Jonathan has said he is still consulting widely following increasing calls for him to contest the 2027 presidential election.

Jonathan made the remark on Thursday while receiving a delegation of youths under the platform of the Coalition for Goodluck Jonathan at his Abuja residence, where they appealed to him to return to partisan politics and contest for the nation’s highest office.

Jonathan Responds to 2027 Presidential Calls

Addressing the group, the former president thanked the youths for what he described as their patriotism and concern for Nigeria’s future.

He, however, noted that contesting for the presidency was a serious national undertaking that required broad consultations.

“Yes, you are asking me to come and contest the next elections. The presidential race is not a computer game, but I’ve heard you, and I’ll consult widely,” Jonathan said.

The former Bayelsa State governor commended the youths for demonstrating interest in the affairs of the country, stressing that patriotism and civic responsibility were essential ingredients for national development.

“If you have no interest in the country, you will not bother to be here. I can say that you are showing signs of being patriotic Nigerians, and I encourage you to continue to be patriotic,” he stated.

Former President Raises Concern Over Voter Apathy

Jonathan also used the occasion to express concern over low voter participation in Nigeria, especially among young people.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

According to him, many Nigerian youths agitating for political change often fail to participate actively in the electoral process.

“As young people, you must be involved in the electoral process. If I ask how many of you have your voter cards now, probably 50 per cent of you do not even have voter cards, and you are asking me to contest the election,” he said.

He urged youths across the country to obtain their Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) and engage meaningfully in democratic processes.

The former president added that Nigeria currently records one of the lowest voter turnout rates on the African continent despite its population and democratic experience.

“We have the highest voter apathy. I have had to study it, get consultants to look at the causes and what can be done about it,” Jonathan said.

Renewed Calls for Jonathan’s Return

Jonathan served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015 after previously serving as vice president.

Since leaving office, there have been recurring calls from political groups, stakeholders and citizens urging him to make another bid for the presidency, with supporters arguing that he possesses the experience and national appeal required to lead the country again.

Despite the persistent calls, Jonathan has largely stayed away from active partisan politics and has instead focused on diplomacy, peace-building initiatives and election observation missions across Africa.

While the former president stopped short of declaring his intention to contest in 2027, his remarks are likely to fuel further political discussions ahead of the next general election as supporters continue to lobby him to join the race.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International