Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

Court Again Orders Arrest of Ex-Power Minister Saleh Mamman Over Absence at Trial

High Court Abuja

Former minister faces second arrest warrant within one week as EFCC presses ahead with N31 billion fraud prosecution in Abuja.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By A1NEWS International – ABUJA — May 11, 2026

A Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court sitting in Maitama, Abuja, on Monday issued another warrant of arrest against former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, following his failure to appear in court for the continuation of his alleged N31 billion fraud trial.

The order marks the second arrest warrant issued against the former minister within one week as legal pressure mounts over multiple corruption-related cases involving him.

Court Grants EFCC Request for Arrest

Justice Maryann Anenih issued the bench warrant after the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation (DPPF), Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, requested that the court proceed with trial despite Mamman’s absence.

Delivering the ruling, Justice Anenih stated:

“Application granted to proceed without the first defendant and application for bench warrant granted.”

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had arraigned Mamman alongside seven others on a nine-count charge bordering on conspiracy, obtaining by false pretence, and alleged intent to defraud involving N31 billion.

The co-defendants include Mustapha Abubakar Bida, Joseph Omotayo Adewunmi, Ben Nsikak, Stephen Ojo, Oladipo Adebowale, Michael Achua, and Ogunjobi Olusila.

The defendants were initially arraigned before the court on October 16, 2025, where they pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Co-Defendants Present as Mamman Remains Absent

At Monday’s proceedings, all co-defendants were present in court except Mamman.

The development further complicates the former minister’s legal troubles, as he is already facing another corruption case before the Federal High Court.

Mamman was recently convicted in absentia in a separate N33 billion fraud case but is yet to be sentenced. His continued absence in that matter had earlier prompted Justice James Omotosho of the Federal High Court to issue a warrant for his arrest.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

Defence, Prosecution Clash Over Responsibility for Mamman

During proceedings, Mamman’s counsel, Femi Atteh, SAN, told the court that he did not know his client’s whereabouts.

“I do not know where he is. The DPPF told us at the Federal High Court that our client is now the state’s property,” Atteh said, referencing the earlier arrest order issued last week.

The defence lawyer argued that the prosecution had a responsibility to produce Mamman before the court.

However, Oyedepo rejected the claim, insisting that the defendant deliberately absconded from trial.

“A defendant without reasonable justification absconded from trial, so the client is still very much in his custody,” Oyedepo argued.

Atteh denied allegations that the defence was shielding the former minister.

Responding further, Oyedepo maintained that the arrest warrant earlier issued by the Federal High Court had not been executed because Mamman remained in hiding.

Trial Adjourned

Following arguments from both parties, Justice Anenih adjourned the matter until Thursday for continuation of trial.

The case adds to the growing list of high-profile anti-corruption prosecutions involving former public office holders under intensified scrutiny by the EFCC.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International