FCT Minister says completion of key infrastructure projects under Tinubu administration demonstrates commitment to urban development and economic growth.
By Baron Eloagu
ABUJA — May 8, 2026
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has directed the immediate extension of the 10-kilometre Outer Southern Expressway (OSEX) main carriageway from Ring Road II Junction in Apo to Wasa Junction as part of efforts to complete Abuja’s critical road infrastructure network.
The minister issued the directive during an inspection tour of ongoing infrastructure projects scheduled for inauguration to mark the third anniversary of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.
Wike Orders Completion of OSEX Corridor
Speaking with journalists after inspecting the projects on Thursday, Wike expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work, particularly on the OSEX bridge being handled by China Geo-Engineering Construction (CGC).

He disclosed that the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) had been instructed to ensure the extension of the road to Wasa Junction to achieve full completion of the arterial corridor.
“I have instructed the Executive Secretary that from where this OSEX road will stop at Ring Road II Junction, they should take it to the end of the OSEX at Wasa Junction, which is about 10 kilometres,” Wike said.
According to him, the completion of the road project represents another fulfilled promise by the current administration.
Progress Recorded on Key Infrastructure Projects
The minister also inspected several other ongoing projects, including the Collector Road CN2 in Katampe District, internal roads in Gaduwa District, the Wasa informal sector relocation site and satellite town water projects.
Wike commended contractors for maintaining project timelines and quality standards, noting that the Collector Road CN2 project in Katampe was nearing completion, with installation of streetlights and walkways already underway.
On the relocation of Apo Mechanics and traders to the Wasa District informal sector site, the minister described the project as the resolution of a long-standing challenge that had persisted for more than a decade.

“Apo Mechanic relocation has been a thorny issue since the inception of the FCT. But thank God, under the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, it is no longer just a promise; it is now a fulfilled promise,” he stated.
He added that the new Wasa development would boost the FCT’s Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) through increased business and commercial activities.
Satellite Town Water Projects Near Completion
The FCT minister further confirmed substantial progress on the satellite town water supply projects in Karu and Bwari, expressing optimism that the projects would be delivered before the end of May.
He praised the contractors for sustaining quality delivery despite outstanding financial obligations owed by the FCT Administration.
Wike Defends Land Allocation to Ambassadors
Responding to criticisms over recent land allocations to ambassadors-designate and other groups, Wike dismissed allegations that the exercise represented a misplaced priority.
The minister argued that land allocation remains a legitimate government responsibility aimed at promoting economic and diplomatic activities within the capital city.
“You cannot question the rationale that government allocated land to ambassadors. You say it is a misplaced priority, but you did not say so when land was also allocated to media organisations and other Nigerians,” he said.
Wike also clarified that the FCT Administration does not sell land directly, explaining that payments made after allocation are for statutory documentation and issuance of Certificates of Occupancy (C of O).
“Nobody buys land from the FCTA. When land is allocated, you pay government for your documentation and C of O,” he explained.
Minister Explains Government Action at Jabi Lake
Addressing concerns surrounding recent government action in the Jabi Lake area, Wike revealed that the land had remained undeveloped for more than 20 years despite earlier agreements with allottees.
According to him, the FCTA had no option but to intervene to attract serious investors capable of developing the area into a modern tourism and entertainment hub.
“That place was allocated about 20 years ago and the allottees failed to develop it as agreed. Government cannot continue to allow such prime land to remain undeveloped,” he said.
The minister added that investors had already signed agreements with the government and would lose the land if they failed to comply with development timelines.
Wike maintained that the FCT Administration would continue to prioritise infrastructure expansion, urban development and investment-driven policies aimed at transforming Abuja into a modern capital city while insisting that all government decisions would remain guided by transparency and public interest.











![Nigerian military prepares to cordon the area where a man was killed by suspected rebel fighters during an attack around the Polo area of Maiduguri, Nigeria, in 2019 [File: Afolabi Sotunde/Reuters]](https://a1news.com.ng/wp/wp-content/uploads/2026/05/Nigeria-military-on-patrol.webp)



Leave a Reply