Spend Less, Save More — Take control of your finances today

View Book

A1 News International

Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

Osun Governor Sacks Monarch After US Fraud Conviction

Apetu of Ipetumodu, Oba Joseph Olugbenga Oloyede

Governor says removal of Apetumodu of Ipetumodu necessary to protect integrity of traditional institution after US court conviction.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

By Aderonke Unigbe – OSOGBO — May 11, 2026

Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has approved the deposition of the Apetumodu of Ipetumodu, Oba Joseph Oloyede, following his conviction in the United States over fraud-related offences.

The monarch was removed after the Osun State Government received a Certified True Copy of the judgment delivered by a United States court in Ohio, which convicted him on tax fraud and money laundering charges.

Government Explains Basis for Deposition

The development was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday by the governor’s spokesperson, Olawale Rasheed.

According to the statement, the Osun State Executive Council had earlier directed the Ministry of Local Government to formally obtain the Certified True Copy of the judgment from the Ohio court before taking any official action against the monarch.

Rasheed stated that the government considered it necessary to rely on verified legal documents rather than social media reports.

“In the Deposition Order signed by His Excellency on May 7, 2026, the action was predicated on the need to maintain peace, order and good governance, as well as to preserve the honour and integrity of the royal stool,” the statement read.

Conviction Brought Royal Stool Into Disrepute — Govt

The Osun State Government said the monarch’s conviction and guilty plea in the United States had brought the traditional institution into public disrepute.

According to the statement, the governor considered the action necessary to protect the integrity of the Apetumodu stool and the institution of Obaship in Osun State.

“The fraudulent conduct of Oba Joseph Oloyede, as found by the US court — to which he pleaded guilty — and his public trial and conviction have brought the institution of Obaship and the stool of Apetumodu of Ipetumodu to disrepute and public odium, hence the resort to deposition,” the statement added.

📚 Get "Spend Less, Save More" — Click here

Details of US Conviction

Oba Oloyede was sentenced on August 26, 2025, by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio.

The court reportedly sentenced him to 56 months imprisonment after convicting him of wire fraud, filing false tax returns, and engaging in monetary transactions involving criminally derived property.

The conviction marked one of the rare cases involving a serving Nigerian traditional ruler being sentenced abroad for financial crimes.

Stool Declared Vacant

Following the deposition, the Osun State Government declared the stool of Apetumodu of Ipetumodu vacant.

The government said the necessary traditional and administrative procedures for selecting and appointing a new monarch would commence at the appropriate time.

Governor Adeleke also appealed to residents and indigenes of Ipetumodu to remain peaceful and law-abiding throughout the transition process.

The deposition of Oba Joseph Oloyede underscores the growing scrutiny of public and traditional office holders over issues of integrity and criminal conduct.

Political and traditional stakeholders are expected to closely monitor the process of selecting a new Apetumodu as the Osun State Government moves to restore confidence in the revered royal institution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

A1 News International
Truth. Accountability. Public Interest Journalism

📚 Get our book: Spend Less, Save More

© 2026 A1 News International